Friday, March 30, 2012

Dr. Who night, fish sticks and custard

The other day Mr. Beam and I had a friend over for a Dr.Who night. I'm still not up to date with the series but we are on the current Dr.  For those who do not watch Dr. Who you are really  going to find this recipe strange so I'll give you a little back story on this. When the Dr is close to death he can regenerate and get a new body, after this happens he gets hungry and craves different/weird things. The last time he regenerated he ended up asking for fish sticks and custard, of course in the show it was implied  that he was eating fish stick and a sweet custard for a dessert filling (gross!) but fish sticks and custard is mentioned  in several other episodes.  I've heard of bar/restaurants hosting Dr. Who nights and actually serving fish sticks and custard and our friend and I decided to give it a go.

The easy part: Fish Sticks

 I took out the Cod I had in the freezer and prepped a breading area to make the fish sticks.

In the green bowl is my brown rice flower with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. In the next bowl I have my egg wash and in the final bowl I have my gluten free bread crumbs. After the cod was thawed I cut in it into  strips and made sure there were no bones, then the dipping began!


It can make a little bit of a mess so be prepared.


 The fish sticks only needed to be cooked at this point which I did after my custard was done, that way they both would be done at the same time.





The tricky part:  The custard

Custard is really just a base of eggs and cream, most is sweetened, more pudding like and used for desserts. How was I going to make this go with fish sticks? After we looked up some savory custard recipes I  decided  to experiment.  Starting with the cream I added dijon mustard, honey, dill, garlic powder, and salt. Tasting as I added until it was just right. I added the eggs and once mixed poured it into the individual baking dishes.



 I then put them in the oven to bake. When they were about done I began cooking the fish sticks. That way everything was nice and hot to eat while we watch our Dr.Who.



 I divided out the fish sticks and each person got there own custard. I was pleasantly surprised that all three plates were completely clean after dinner. Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment